The Center for Injury Research and Prevention (CIRP) at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) hosts the Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, a 10-week paid summer research internship opportunity for undergraduate students. CIRP is a leading multidisciplinary center engaged in collaborative cross-discipline research implementing real world applications.
The REU program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), provides underrepresented students with mentorship and hands-on research experience in the fields of engineering, behavioral science, education, population science and statistics. Students will apply this scientific foundation to assist in developing evidence-based prevention products, programs, policies, and interventions.
With mentoring from a well-established team of highly trained pediatric researchers, Injury Science REU students will:
- conduct research to build the scientific foundation for injury interventions
- translate interventions into practical solutions
- evaluate the success of these solutions
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply for the Injury Science REU Program:
- 3.0 GPA
- One year completed college by June 5, 2017
- Anticipated graduation: After August 11, 2017
- US citizen or permanent resident
- an interest in pursuing an advanced degree in their field of study (except Pre-Med)
Financial Support Provided by the Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program:
- Stipend: Each student will be paid a stipend of $5,000 for the 10-week program.
- Travel: Each student will be able to request up to $500 in reimbursement for travel to and from Philadelphia for the program or to a conference to present his or her research.
- Housing: Each student will receive free housing.
- Research Competition: An additional award will be set aside for a research competition. The winning student(s) will be provided money toward conference travel to present research findings.
Important Deadlines for the Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program:
- Accepting Applications: January 1 - January 31, 2017 (Applications submitted before or after these dates will not be reviewed.)
- Application Review and Interview Process (by phone only): February – March 2017
- Applicants Notified of Selection for the Program: April 2017. Notification may occur earlier for some projects.
- Program Dates: June 5 – August 11, 2017