Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
The Center for Injury Research and Prevention (CIRP) at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute hosts the Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, a 10-week paid summer research internship opportunity for undergraduate students. CIRP is a leading multidisciplinary center engaged in collaborative cross-discipline research implementing real-world applications.
The REU program, sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), provides underrepresented students with mentorship and hands-on research experience in the fields of engineering, behavioral science, education, population science, and statistics. Students will apply this scientific foundation to assist in developing evidence-based prevention products, programs, policies, and interventions.
With mentoring from a well-established team of highly trained pediatric researchers, Injury Science REU students will:
- conduct research to build the scientific foundation for injury interventions
- translate interventions into practical solutions
- evaluate the success of these solutions
REU Program Details
- Eligibility Requirements
- 3.0 GPA
- One year completed college by June 1, 2022
- Anticipated graduation: After August 12, 2022
- US citizen or permanent resident
- an interest in pursuing an advanced degree in their field of study (except Pre-Med)
- encouraged to apply are American Indians/Alaskan Natives, Blacks, and Latinx students, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and students from colleges and universities where STEM research opportunities are limited, including two-year colleges.
- Financial Support Provided
- Stipend: Each student will be paid a stipend of $5,000 for the 10-week program.
- Travel: All students will be able to request up to $500 in reimbursement for travel to and from Philadelphia for the program or to a conference to present their research.
- Housing: Each student participating in an "in-person" project will receive free housing.
- Research Competition: An additional award will be set aside for a research competition. The winning student(s) will be provided money toward conference travel to present research findings.
- Important Deadlines
- Accepting Applications: December 14, 2021, at 12:00 AM EST - January 17, 2022, at 11:59 EST (Applications submitted after these dates will not be reviewed.) Apply here: cirp.smapply.io
- Application Review and Interview Process (by phone only): February 2022
- Applicants Notified of Selection for the Program: March 2022
- Program Dates: June 6, 2022 – August 12, 2022
REU Program Update
Please note: Applications for the 2021 REU Program closed on January 18, 2021. Selected applicants were notified in March 2021. We will begin accepting applications for the 2022 REU Program in mid-December 2021. Check back for more information in early December 2021.
Due to the changing situation related to COVID-19, most of the program will be held remotely this summer. Students who applied for positions designated as “remote” will not be required to work on campus. Alternatively, students who applied for positions designated as “in-person” will receive free single unit housing.
If the situation changes to allow for an in-person experience, students working remotely will be given the choice to remain fully remote or to participate in-person. Students who choose an in-person experience will be provided single unit free housing.