The Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia offers free evidence-based violence prevention education tools for teens, parents, community members, and educators. These violence prevention education resources can be used to prevent youth violence and build community.
Violence Prevention Education Webinar Series
Experts from VPI regularly conduct free educational webinars on various topics related to youth violence prevention. The webinars are recorded and are available below. Sign up to receive alerts about upcoming violence prevention education webinars.
- Playing Catch-up -- How to Address the Lag in Reducing U.S. Child Mortality Rates
Date: June 5, 2018
Presenters: Ahaviah Glaser, JD; Christopher Forrest, MD, PhD; Allison Curry, PhD, MPH; Michael L. Nance, MD; Scott Lorch, MD, MSCE
Target Audience: Health policy stakeholders, government agency staff, child health policy advocates, elected officials, and healthcare providers
- Secondary Traumatic Stress: Impact on Providers, Patients and Families
Date: January 23, 2018
Presenters: Nancy Kassam-Adams, PhD; Kristen Kohser, MSW, LSW; Carol Murray, MSS, MLSP; Laura Vega, MSW, LCSW
Target Audience: Healthcare providers, psychologists, social workers, child life specialists, and other patient service providers
- Human Trafficking in Adolescents
Date: August 15, 2017
Presenters: Marné Castillo, PhD, MEd; Jasmine Oglesby, MSW; Erica Smith, MEd
Target Audience: Social workers and other healthcare providers, including physicians, nurses, mental health professionals, educators, administrators, counselors
- Intimate Partner Violence and Pediatrics
Date: May 10, 2017
Presenters: Rachel Myers, PhD; Ashlee Murray, MD, MPH; Marcella Slick, MSW, LSW; India Azzinaro, BSW
Target Audience: Primary care physicians, pediatricians, psychiatrists, advance practice providers (physician assistants, advance practice nurses) nurses, psychologists
- Suicide Prevention in Children and Adolescents
Date: November 9, 2016
Presenters: Jeremy Esposito, MD, MSEd; Anik Jhonsa, MD; Flaura Winston, MD, PhD
Target Audience: Primary care physicians, pediatricians, psychiatrists, advance practice providers (physician assistants, advance practice nurses,) nurses, psychologists
- Counseling Families on Gun Safety in the Home
Date: September 10, 2015
Presenters: Joel Fein, MD, MPH; Michael Nance, MD, FACS, FAAP; Mary Fabio, MD, FAAP
Target Audience: Physicians, nurses, social workers, mental health professionals, educators, administrators, counselors
- Preventing Bullying and Empowering Teachers
Date: February 2, 2015
Presenters: Stephen Leff, PhD and Christine Waanders, PhD
Target Audience: Teachers, administrators, and counselors in elementary and middle school grades
Additional Webinar Materials: Written Reflection Exercise
- An Introduction to the Delivery of Trauma-Informed Care in Medical and Mental Health Settings
Date: June 4, 2014
Presenter: Meghan Marsac, PhD
Target Audience: Pediatric healthcare providers
Educational Fact Sheets
The fact sheets below were developed by experts at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Download and distribute them to families, youth, educators, and other groups with a stake in youth violence prevention education.
All About Bullying
- What is Bullying?
- Stopping Bullying*
- Helping a Child Who is Being Bullied
- Relational Bullying
- Weight-related Bullying
- LGBT Youth-Related Bullying
- Bullying Due to Skin/Hair Conditions
* This fact sheet is targeted directly to youth.
- In November 2017, CHOP VPI Fellow and Emergency Department Attending Physician Ruth Abaya, MD, MPH, testified before the Philadelphia City Council’s Special Committee on Gun Violence about reframing the discussion on preventing gun violence, and discussed how public health approaches prevention from three angles: primary, secondary, and tertiary prevention. Download Dr. Abaya's City Council testimony
- In May 2016, CHOP VPI Fellow and Director of the Pediatric Trauma Program Michael Nance, MD, testified before Pennsylvania's House Democratic Policy Committee Hearing on House Bill 1010, a bill that would close some loopholes in Pennsylvania's background checks for gun purchases. Dr. Nance drew from his personal experience as a trauma surgeon at CHOP, as well as his expertise in firearms research. Download Dr. Nance's Pennsylvania House testimony
- In April 2016, CHOP VPI Co-Director Joel Fein, MD, MPH, testified before the Philadelphia City Council Committee on Public Safety to inform the establishment of a comprehensive strategy for reducing and eliminating youth gun violence. Dr. Fein's comments describe research from CHOP on why teenagers in Philadelphia might access a gun, giving voice to these youth. Download Dr. Fein's City Council testimony
Violence Prevention Education Resources for Families
Click here to access information for adolescents and parents about anti-violence programs and services with contact/hotline numbers.
Violence Prevention Education Related Blog Posts
Click here to access viewpoints about violence prevention-related topics from the Research in Action blog.