The Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia offers free evidence-based educational tools for teens, parents, community members, and educators. These violence prevention education resources can be used to prevent youth violence and build community.
VPI Webinar Series
Experts from VPI regularly conduct free educational webinars on various topics related to youth violence prevention. The webinars are recorded and are available below. Sign up to receive alerts about upcoming webinars.
- Intimate Partner Violence and Pediatrics
Date: May 10, 2017
Presenters: Rachel Myers, PhD; Ashlee Murray, MD, MPH; Marcella Slick, MSW, LSW; India Azzinaro, BSW
Target Audience: Primary care physicians, pediatricians, psychiatrists, advance practice providers (physician assistants, advance practice nurses) nurses, psychologists
- Suicide Prevention in Children and Adolescents
Date: November 9, 2016
Presenters: Jeremy Esposito, MD, MSEd; Anik Jhonsa, MD; Flaura Winston, MD, PhD
Target Audience: Primary care physicians, pediatricians, psychiatrists, advance practice providers (physician assistants, advance practice nurses,) nurses, psychologists
- Counseling Families on Gun Safety in the Home
Date: September 10, 2015
Presenters: Joel Fein, MD, MPH; Michael Nance, MD, FACS, FAAP; Mary Fabio, MD, FAAP
Target Audience: Physicians, nurses, social workers, mental health professionals, educators, administrators, counselors
- Preventing Bullying and Empowering Teachers
Date: February 2, 2015
Presenters: Stephen Leff, PhD and Christine Waanders, PhD
Target Audience: Teachers, administrators, and counselors in elementary and middle school grades
Additional Webinar Materials: Written Reflection Exercise
- An Introduction to the Delivery of Trauma-Informed Care in Medical and Mental Health Settings
Date: June 4, 2014
Presenter: Meghan Marsac, PhD
Target Audience: Pediatric healthcare providers
Educational Fact Sheets
The fact sheets below were developed by experts at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. Download and distribute them to families, youth, educators, and other groups with a stake in youth violence prevention.
All About Bullying
- What is Bullying?
- Stopping Bullying*
- Helping a Child Who is Being Bullied
- What is Cyber Bullying?
- What is Relational Bullying?
- What is Weight-related Bullying?
- LGBT Youth-Related Bullying
- Bullying Due to Skin/Hair Conditions
* This fact sheet is targeted directly to youth.
- In May 2016, CHOP VPI Fellow and Director of the Pediatric Trauma Program Michael Nance, MD, testified before Pennsylvania's House Democratic Policy Committee Hearing on House Bill 1010, a bill that would close some loopholes in Pennsylvania's background checks for gun purchases. Dr. Nance drew from his personal experience as a trauma surgeon at CHOP, as well as his expertise in firearms research. Download Dr. Nance's Pennsylvania House testimony
- In April 2016, CHOP VPI Co-Director Joel Fein, MD, MPH, testified before the Philadelphia City Council Committee on Public Safety to inform the establishment of a comprehensive strategy for reducing and eliminating youth gun violence. Dr. Fein's comments describe research from CHOP on why teenagers in Philadelphia might access a gun, giving voice to these youth. Download Dr. Fein's City Council testimony
Resources for Families
Click here to access information for adolescents and parents about anti-violence programs and services with contact/hotline numbers.
Click here to access viewpoints about violence prevention-related topics from the Research in Action blog.