Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
The Center for Injury Research and Prevention (CIRP) at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute hosts the Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program, a 10-week paid summer research internship opportunity for undergraduate students. CIRP is a leading multidisciplinary center engaged in collaborative cross-discipline research implementing real-world applications.
The REU program at CHOP, sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), provides underrepresented students with mentorship and hands-on research experience in the fields of engineering, behavioral science, education, population science, and statistics. Students will apply this scientific foundation to assist in developing evidence-based prevention products, programs, policies, and interventions.
- conduct research to build the scientific foundation for injury interventions
- translate interventions into practical solutions
- evaluate the success of these solutions
CHOP REU Program Details
- Eligibility Requirements
- 3.0 GPA
- One year completed college by June 3, 2024
- Anticipated graduation: After August 9, 2024
- US citizen or permanent resident
- an interest in pursuing an advanced degree in their field of study (except Pre-Med)
- encouraged to apply are American Indian/Alaskan Native, Black, and Latinx students, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and students from colleges and universities where STEM research opportunities are limited, including two-year colleges.
- Financial Support Provided
- Stipend: Each student will be paid a stipend of $6,000 for the 10-week program.
- Travel: All students will be able to request up to $500 in reimbursement for travel to and from Philadelphia for the program or to a conference to present their research.
- Housing: Each student participating in an "in-person" project will receive free housing.
- Important Deadlines
- Accepting Applications: December 11, 2023, at 12:00 AM EST - January 15, 2024, at 11:59 EST (Applications submitted after these dates will not be reviewed.)
- Application Review and Interview Process (virtual or by phone only): February 2024
- Applicants Notified of Selection for the Program (email): March 2024
- Program Dates: June 3, 2024 – August 9, 2024
- Vaccine Requirements
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) has mandated all workforce members on site at any CHOP location for any portion of their time be vaccinated for COVID-19. This mandate also applies to workforce members performing work for CHOP at non-CHOP locations. The CHOP COVID-19 vaccine mandate is in alignment with applicable local, state, and federal mandates. CHOP also requires all workforce members who work in patient care buildings or who provide patient care to receive an annual influenza vaccine. Employees may request exemption consideration for CHOP vaccine requirements for valid religious and medical reasons.
- COVID-19 Update
We continue to closely monitor the progression of the COVID-19 endemic. At present, we are planning for a fully in-person internship experience for the Summer of 2024. Please continue to monitor our website for additional updates.