The Violence Prevention Initiative (VPI) at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is hosting a free webinar entitled, "Counseling Families on Gun Safety in the Home." Gun violence is a complex public health issue in the U.S., and those who counsel families about child access to guns in the home play a pivotal role in keeping children optimally safe. This webinar is for practitioners who want to add gun safe storage tips to their anticipatory guidance on safety in the home. Most applicable for primary care and mental health practitioners, social workers and counselors.
This webinar will provide:
- Facts and statistics about firearm injury among children and factors that place them at increased risk
- Policy landscape related to the prevention of child access to guns
- Practical strategies about how and when to start the conversation with parents about safe storage of guns and ammunition
- How to access resources on this topic
Date and Time:
Thursday, September 10th, 1-2pm EST
Presenters from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:
- Joel Fein, MD, MPH Co-director, Violence Prevention Initiative Attending Physician in Emergency Medicine
- Michael Nance, MD, FACS, FAAP Director, Pediatric Trauma Program and attending surgeon
- Mary Fabio, MD, general practice attending physician and Co-director, Refugee Health Program
Click here to register for the webinar and for more information.
**Like what you’ve read? Subscribe to Research in Action to have the latest in child injury prevention delivered to your inbox.**