Students take a break from crash test dummy research.
In partnership with the University of Pennsylvania, the Center for Injury Research and Prevention (CIRP) at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia accepts applications for 10-week paid summer research internships for undergraduate students. CIRP is a leading multidisciplinary center engaged in collaborative cross-discipline research implementing real world applications.
The Injury Science Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Site program (sponsored by the National Science Foundation) provides underrepresented students with mentorship and hands-on research experience in the fields of Engineering, Behavioral Science, Education, Population Science and Statistics as applied to Pediatric Injury Science (i.e., prevention of injury, post-injury/traumatic stress, and secondary prevention). Each REU student works closely with a CIRP mentor or mentors on an assigned project or projects and also attends formal workshops, meetings, field trips, seminars, and social events.
NOTE: Please identify your top two projects from this list and indicate the project number and title on the REU Application Cover Sheet.
Students must meet the following minimum requirements to be eligible to apply:
- 3.0 GPA
- 1 math and 1 science course completed
- 1 year college completed
- Anticipated graduation: After August 9, 2013
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
Financial Support Provided by the REU Site
- Stipend: Each student will be paid a stipend of $4,800 for the 10 week program.
- Travel: Each student will be able to request up to $300 in reimbursement for travel to and from Philadelphia for the program or to a conference to present his or her research.
- Housing: Each student enrolled in the program is eligible to receive housing (as arranged by CIRP) in dorms on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. Housing provided is within walking distance of CIRP.
- Research Competition: An additional award will be set aside for a research competition. The winning student(s) will be provided money toward conference travel to present research findings.
- Accepting Applications: January 1 - January 31, 2013
- Application Review and Interview Process (by phone only): February 1 – February 28, 2013
- Applicants Notified of Selection for the Program: March 1, 2013
- Program Dates: June 3 – August 9, 2013